Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just ordered two more for $57.68 each (camo & brown models are the same price) with free shipping. They seem to be about $70 most of the time, but I paid about $58 for my first one, too. I've been sort of watching, but I am glad you mentioned it today.

I'm sure the A3 is just as good, but I do like the single large latch of the E5. I bought two, but one might be a Christmas present for my brother. He doesn't have an interest in crossbows. So it is safe to say that! :)
The A3 is great quality also.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is a string of recent GardePro E5 videos I put together earlier today. Click on the 4 arrow icon for full screen and all have sound.
Thanks for sharing those. You should feel optimistic about your upcoming season.

How long do your batteries last when recording video clips like that?

I only ask, because I have only taken photos with my cameras. I sort of like the batteries lasting as long as possible, and I am happy with a snap shot of what's around (along with what time of the day activity is happening).

When you use the video setting, are you looking at changing batteries every few weeks or months?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
One other thing i discovered in the difference between the browning's and the Guardepro. The browning cameras must make some kind of noise that deer hear when it takes a picture. Just about every card check, I will have multiple shots of deer with their nose five inch's away from the lens. Something triggers their curiosity, as the cameras are located about fifteen to twenty feet of their travel routes. I have yet to have that with the Guardepro's.

·
Registered
648 Posts
One other thing i discovered in the difference between the browning's and the Guardepro. The browning cameras must make some kind of noise that deer hear when it takes a picture. Just about every card check, I will have multiple shots of deer with their nose five inch's away from the lens. Something triggers their curiosity, as the cameras are located about fifteen to twenty feet of their travel routes. I have yet to have that with the Guardepro's.
That is true. I have deer sticking their nose right up to the Browning cameras quite often. Browning can keep peddling their endless number of new models to someone else.

I see no reason to spend $150-180 for Browning Dark Ops (inferior product) when one can pick up a "no glow" GardePro for $58-70. I can't see where the more expensive Browning Dark Ops does anything better (picture quality, trigger speed, ease of set up, night pics, detection range, etc...), but it's the failure rate of the Browning cameras that's been the most alarming to me. If a $150 camera stops working after a season or two, that sucks! It's why I have been on a quest for the "Holy Grail" of affordable trail cameras. I may have found it!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I live in SW Wisconsin. A few deer have lost their velvet just prior to September 1st, but most seem to lose it the first week of September or so.
East central Wisconsin, Last weeks pictures included two fork horns with full velvet, and a six and eight pointer with totally clean antlers. I would assume under normal circumstances, most bucks will be velvet free any day now. 🦌

·
TenPoint Siege, TenPoint Eclipse
848 Posts
Thanks for sharing those. You should feel optimistic about your upcoming season.

How long do your batteries last when recording video clips like that?

I only ask, because I have only taken photos with my cameras. I sort of like the batteries lasting as long as possible, and I am happy with a snap shot of what's around (along with what time of the day activity is happening).

When you use the video setting, are you looking at changing batteries every few weeks or months?
Using Energizer Lithiums I can go from May thru November easily. I do 30 second day vids and 20 seconds at night.

Interesting here in northern Minnesota the deer are just losing the velvet this last
week. How long have deer been without velvet there?
My first shed video took place on August 22 this year, about 5 days earlier than usual, imo. This is in mid MI, probably about in line with Oshkosh, WI as far as North/South goes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a GardePro A3 coming tomorrow. I have read that the sensitivity is picky on them. What setting should I start with using it in the woods with temps from 50-90 degrees.
I have no problems with sensitivity. I will say if the camera is getting sunshine somewhat direct or in an area where wind leaves will be observed by the movement of the camera I would start with the medium. One thing nice it is so easy to change. I have not used the side sensors to increase the field of detection. I think on trails I might try it and see what happens. Love my cameras and have like a dozen plus and have had zero breakdowns. My Moultrie's are failing fast-and never will buy again.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I have a GardePro A3 coming tomorrow. I have read that the sensitivity is picky on them. What setting should I start with using it in the woods with temps from 50-90 degrees.
I have had my two guardpro A3's out for four weeks now. I have both set on high sensitivity. However mine are pointing towards fairly open areas with not much low brush or branch's that might cause false triggers. If you do have low brush or foliage that may blow in the wind, you might try low sensitivity. Really comes down to experimenting.
After four weeks and with comparing to my two years old Browning SpecOps. The Brownings are nothing but a lot of false triggers for no apparent reason and most pictures mostly blurry. what a were a waste of money, and likely going in the trash barrel.
I just ordered two more A3's and they will be here Friday. They were again on Amazon for normally 99.95 on sale for 69.99 and now with a extra 15% off with free shipping. Got the cameras for $62.00 each including sales tax.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I only do single photos every 5 seconds on all my cameras. I am not interested in video clips of raccoons, squirrels, coyotes, or even bobcats. I want snap shot pics of what deer are in the area, & what time of the day they are there.

I have the E5, and I think the manual is quite impressive for a somewhat unknown brand trail camera. I have the side sensors turned on, and the highest sensor setting set. I have E5 deer pics off in the distance that would never be picked up by any of my other cameras. I wouldn't say it's a wide angle view, however.

I just received two more E5 cameras on sale in the mail yesterday. If my other brands fail, these cameras are replacing them. I like the set up features and buttons of these cameras. $58 for a "no glow" camera of this quality makes me happy.

If Browning cameras were my only choice, I would give up on using trail cameras. I can't stomach paying $100-175 for something that does last more than a season or two.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
WR, did you get the cell link camera, the E6 for $69.99?!?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts