Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Crossbow Nut
5,126 Posts
Duke,
You're preaching to th choir my friend. As I have said several times in the past, if I were interested in a 500 fps crossbow, the TP505 would be my preference.

But I'm Not interested in a 500 fps crossbow from any manufacturer because it's waaaaay overkill for my type of hunting. Besides, in my opinion, the OracleX and it's successors will obsolete them way before they ever get really popular.
Exactly; "faster shoots flatter" won't mean a thing soon.

·
Premium Member
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
505 Posts
I thought I had made my decision regarding the debate between the R500 and TenPoint 505, but the antidry fire system on the TenPoint is holding back from purchasing one (the $3000 price tag is playing a role as well:)).

·
13,181 Posts
Duke,
You're preaching to th choir my friend. As I have said several times in the past, if I were interested in a 500 fps crossbow, the TP505 would be my preference.

But I'm Not interested in a 500 fps crossbow from any manufacturer because it's waaaaay overkill for my type of hunting. Besides, in my opinion, the OracleX and it's successors will obsolete them way before they ever get really popular.
Funny ... you should say that, I find myself lacking any desire for more than my 450fps, narrow platform R29X right now. Usually I look at advanced technology or performance increases and mentally project what it would do for me. How it would effect the shots I take, the way I kill deer, if it would make me more proficient & efficient. Calculate if there's enough of a jump over what I'm using to consider buying. These bows? Nothing...lol Just seem to be too many potential problems, and too much money. They've reached my tipping point.

I "donated" my 1982 Stihl 041 Farm Boss (61cc) to my son who moved to Georgia last month. I've been researching a new replacement saw. Stihl or Hasqvarna were on my radar. (ordered a Stihl from my dealer of 50 years) A little bit bigger saw. After a certain size the really big saws don't even show up on my radar. Or if you're buying a pickup truck. The 3500s or F350s don't even register in your mind. Same thing with these 500fps crossbows.

Reactions: bigbird1

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
No matter what anyone says(even BB 1 who I respect greatly) I think there’s a lot of pluses for the R500 in terms of tune ability, ease of working on it, compactness of the design and ability to adjust LOP & Comb for a perfect cheek weld. I,m watching carefully on string & cable west which will dictate a lot. The 505 seems heavier & doesn’t fit me near as good when I pull it up whereas the R500 is perfect. I’m primarily a western hunter and down the road will have one or the other. Don’t fish or bird hunt anymore so cross bow shooting & hunting is my thing. Gonna be selling my E Bike, trailer & accessories cuz I simply don’t use it like I thought & hopefully those $$ can stay in my hunting fund. Diesel prices are driving me nuts with a typical fill cost $130-$140. It’s $5.39 here now and the station owner said it will easily hit $6.00 plus in another month.

·
13,181 Posts
Exactly; "faster shoots flatter" won't mean a thing soon.
Well... it still means something when you're looking to snake a shot under and through vegetation. ;) And it means something to get the arrow there faster so the target can't move. And your envelope of "point blank range" is wider whether you're using a laser adjusted optic or not. Faster is "always" better. :cool: Won't be "AS" important as it used to be, but it's still an advantage.

·
13,181 Posts
No matter what anyone says(even BB 1 who I respect greatly) I think there’s a lot of pluses for the R500 in terms of tune ability, ease of working on it, compactness of the design and ability to adjust LOP & Comb for a perfect cheek weld. I,m watching carefully on string & cable west which will dictate a lot. The 505 seems heavier & doesn’t fit me near as good when I pull it up whereas the R500 is perfect. I’m primarily a western hunter and down the road will have one or the other. Don’t fish or bird hunt anymore so cross bow shooting & hunting is my thing. Gonna be selling my E Bike, trailer & accessories cuz I simply don’t use it like I thought & hopefully those $$ can stay in my hunting fund. Diesel prices are driving me nuts with a typical fill cost $130-$140. It’s $5.39 here now and the station owner said it will easily hit $6.00 plus in another month.
Funny ... I was just sitting with my banker yesterday and we started talking cars for some reason and she said the exact same thing, diesel for her Mercedes used to be a buck now it's 5 bucks.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ron,
You, as usual, make some great points. BTW, I have the same respect for you my friend.
At 6'-6" tall, fit of the weapon has always been probably the most important criteria for me. After all, that's how I got started into making Ravin accessories in the first place.
Having hunted out West on 3 trips, I can also appreciate your concern for string and cable wear. The excessive heat and sun can be especially damaging on S&Cs when exposed for long periods of time. Of course, weight is also a factor especially when doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting which is so prevalent out West.

Sometimes, you simply have to compromise on some features you don't prefer in a crossbow to get the features you must have. It sounds like you've attempted to do that by shouldering both the TP505 and the R500.
That's certainly a great first step and hopefully, The FieldArcher can address some of your other concerns.

Good luck with your decision and I know whichever way you go, it will be a well thought out approach.

BTW, diesel appears to be well over $7 a gal in Europe right now and that most likely will keep our prices high as long as Putin continues to be hell bent on conquering Ukraine.

·
SE VA
13,719 Posts
We are all different to some degree and past a certain point in our lives an individual is different from year to year. Just no way around it🙄.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the electric motor is not an issue for hunting. I think most folks should be able wind this thing up and down one time for a hunt. Then leave the electric motor at home or in the truck for fields shooting only.
The motor is totally out of the picture for hunting Just too much weight any angle you look at it from.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,125 Posts
I had a R500 and I didnt see where the LOP and comb could be adjusted. Im waiting for the 500e. Don't like the ADF or arrow nock issues on ten points. Also when you get a arrow that will shoot in the 505 it is now a 480.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a R500 and I didnt see where the LOP and comb could be adjusted. Im waiting for the 500e. Don't like the ADF or arrow nock issues on ten points. Also when you get a arrow that will shoot in the 505 it is now a 480.
No dog is this fight, but 505 shooting a 490 grain arrow at 480fps is not the same as ravin shooting a 400 grain arrow 500fps. The KE and momentum are not very close in that situation.

Either way both produce KE and momentum that are more than you will ever need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I keep waiting for you to post more vids on Rumble... One day all the hunting/gun/fishing/trapping channels are going to wake up to find out that LibidiotTube shut them all down... It's coming.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Well... it still means something when you're looking to snake a shot under and through vegetation. ;) And it means something to get the arrow there faster so the target can't move. And your envelope of "point blank range" is wider whether you're using a laser adjusted optic or not. Faster is "always" better. :cool: Won't be "AS" important as it used to be, but it's still an advantage.
Exactly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What ... about the noise of the electric model? And recocking time of both models? I'm curious to see Archer's video.

I'm starting to wonder of Ravin is in negotiations to buy Archer's video so they can destroy the negative before it reaches the Internet. :p 😂;) Where's your video FA?:) Seems everything about this bow has been "coming soon" since the day it was announced...lol But wound up "coming later."
Sorry, I don't have the electric model.
No offers not to have the video go live! lol
I did the same thing with the Excal review, I take some time with the bow and while testing the Mag Air, the ultra light weight/compact size is what saddle hunting is all about and will hopefully help saddle hunters looking for the perfect saddle crossbow along with all of the other styles of hunting. Saddle hunting has been really growing fast, that is why I had that footage in that review, it just takes time!
For the reviews, I could stand behind the crossbow and give some specs and thoughts and be done in 10 minutes, edit for a few more minutes and have it live in under 20 minutes start to finish!
I actually spend time with it, get readings that don't lie, use the same equipment for the readings on all the bows and get close up footage and angles to show the crossbow in detail, and sometimes during the season, actually field test or off season, put arrows through it out of a stand/saddle/tripod... It takes time to set up cameras and get the footage for the viewers to really see the bow / features.

·
13,181 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the electric model.
No offers not to have the video go live! lol
I did the same thing with the Excal review, I take some time with the bow and while testing the Mag Air, the ultra light weight/compact size is what saddle hunting is all about and will hopefully help saddle hunters looking for the perfect saddle crossbow along with all of the other styles of hunting. Saddle hunting has been really growing fast, that is why I had that footage in that review, it just takes time!
For the reviews, I could stand behind the crossbow and give some specs and thoughts and be done in 10 minutes, edit for a few more minutes and have it live in under 20 minutes start to finish!
I actually spend time with it, get readings that don't lie, use the same equipment for the readings on all the bows and get close up footage and angles to show the crossbow in detail, and sometimes during the season, actually field test or off season, put arrows through it out of a stand/saddle/tripod... It takes time to set up cameras and get the footage for the viewers to really see the bow / features.
There's been ... so much drama around this bow that it doesn't even show up on my radar in those fleeting 'projecting" moments. The Ten Point does. Not to any degree mind you, but like if I was buying a crossbow today, would it still be my Ravin R29X or would it be the new Ten Point Superbow? The one thing I've been REALLY curious about since day one is "how noisy is the electric cranking system?" The question still hasn't been answered. What I do know is I tried using a Milwaukee right angle drill to lower both the body movement and time required to re-cock my Orion on multiple kills. It was a disaster. I did everything possible to quiet the motor, taped all the vent holes closed, even double wrapped the whole thing other than the rotating chuck and the trigger, in a thick wool sock and it still alerted every surviving deer after the first kill. Looks like Ravin is using a Milwaukee system which doubles my curiosity...lol It also doubles my suspicion that the thing is going to be alarmingly loud. Deer alarmingly anyway. ;)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts